Compare Fuel Sources
Business and residential consumers have a choice of several types of fuels available to them:
- Propane Gas
- Fuel Oil
- Natural Gas (on the main)
Propane comes from either natural gas processing or the refining of crude oil. The majority of the US propane supply is produced domestically while some is imported from Canada, Mexico and a small percentage from overseas.
After propane is processed, it is pressurized to transform gaseous propane into a liquid. From the refineries, propane is transported by pipeline, rail car or tank truck to retailers. Ultimately, Eastern also delivers propane to our customer’s storage tank in this liquid state. When this propane liquid is released from the storage tank, it reverts to its’ gaseous state.
Key findings of a study prepared by Newport Partners, LLC for the Propane Education Resource Council show that when compared with other heating sources, replacement projects involving propane-fueled solutions provide attractive returns on investment.
- With some systems, your power supply is never interrupted.
- Metered systems or multiple homes served by one centrally located tank will not experience strained resources when simultaneous use occurs.
- Propane appliances offer higher efficiency, less appliance maintenance and greater convenience over electricity and oil.
- Propane is less harmful to the environment than fuel oil. When burned, propane emissions easily meet the standards for clean air set by the EPA.
- Propane appliances have a short payback period. Initially, their purchase price can be more expensive than an electric model but their high efficiencies mean you use less energy than appliances powered by electricity or fuel oil. You save money by using less fuel. When making an appliance selection, consider whether it is an investment that can be quickly returned and provide significant savings in the long run.
Fuel oil is also a good source of energy. Fuel oil burners can achieve strong levels of efficiency with frequent maintenance but not at the same levels achieved with a propane appliance. Today, risks to the environment associated with “greenhouse gases” and the tanks used to store oil are becoming of increasing concern to consumers. Despite these concerns, there are those that still choose fuel oil as their preferred energy source. Eastern accommodates with product delivery, appliance sales and service. For safety reasons and to reduce risk of environmental exposure, an Eastern representative will conduct an oil tank inspection prior to filling the tank on every new oil account.
The best way to determine the most suitable fuel source for your home is to rely on the experience and knowledge of an Eastern Energy Consultant. Whether you are building a new home, considering converting from oil to propane or adding an appliance, we can bring solutions. Ask an Eastern Energy Consultant for your free on site consultation today.